Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Hey, everyone!

Relax.

So our boy Phil didn't have a great outing yesterday. I didn't see the game, but it sounds like the weather conditions and the umpire's insane strike zone weren't exactly a recipe for success.

I'm not going to sit here and make excuses, but it's easy to forget that we're only eight games into the season. Phil Hughes has pitched twice. Already there are concerns about his velocity, whether he might be injured, and God only knows what else.

As for me, I'm obviously going to give the kid rope. As much faith as I have in Phil, he's going to take his lumps. It would be ludicrous to expect him to go 25-0 and pitch to a 2.50 ERA. We know he's going to lose sometimes. Though he threw way too many pitches yesterday, he still left the game with the Yankees only down by a run, so I'd take that as a sign of encouragement.

I know we're all excited and it feels like the season's already considerably underway, but it's still only the second week of April. It could be worse; the team could be 0-7. There's a whole year of baseball to be played. And remember, so far the weather this month has been fucking disgusting.

Once the team gets in the swing of things and it stops raining every Goddamn day, those of us who are keeping the faith with our young pitchers are going to be rewarded.

No comments: