Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Phil Hughes hostage drama, day 649

It's great to see all the support I've received from many of the outstanding Yankee blogs I've been reading on a regular basis for the last four years - hell, River Ave. Blues turned it up a notch and already created merchandise.

As for our boy Phil, he obviously 100% agrees with everything we've been saying here, and had some choice words for Brian Cashman in today's News:

"It's not like you can get a guy like Santana away from the Twins for nothing. It's nice that other teams think highly of me, but I'm very happy with where I'm at. I'd love to stay," said Hughes, who went 5-3 with a 4.46 ERA in 13 starts for the Yankees this year.

"I've always had the mind-set of coming up and playing for the Yankees," said Hughes. "It was an exciting change in the philosophy of the way it used to be. Looking at the guys who came up this year - me, Joba and Ian - we can help in the rotation for years to come, which would be cool. Not many times do you get three guys 21 or 22 years old to fill three spots in the same rotation. "You can never assume things are going to happen, but it's fun to think about the way things could be."

I'm sorry, who wants to trade this man away again? He LOVES THE FACT THAT HE'S A YANKEE and knows that he, Joba and IPK will TEAR IT UP given the chance.

If I were Cashman I'd tell Bill Smith to either beg tightwad Carl Pohlad, he of 114th-richest American fame, for more money or stick it where the sun don't shine and enjoy one last season of Santana before having to wave goodbye to him for no compensation save two draft picks. This dangling Hughes as bait thing has GOT TO STOP. I've been looking forward to watching this kid dominate for the Yanks next year and many many years after that, and I simply cannot believe that the Yankee hierarchy could be this shortsighted.

SAVE THE BIG THREE

3 comments:

Devaluer said...

I like the new logo.

Adam said...

sir, you are brilliant. I am behind you 100%. these three, especially hughes could be the cornerstone of the yankees for the next 10 years... hell maybe more if they are used properly.

AJ said...

It's sad that Hughes even had to make such a statement. Certainly, Cash can't be so blind.