Wednesday, November 28, 2007

OK, just to play devil's advocate, here's who I would trade for Johan Santana

Psyche!

I wouldn't trade anyone from the Yankees' farm system for Johan Santana.

I would, however, be happy to make the following trade on behalf of Theo Epstein: Clay Buchholz, Jon Lester, Jacoby Ellsbury and Dustin Pedroia for Johan Santana. If the Sox want to make that move, I say let 'em.

As I said in a comment from yesterday's inaugural post, as great as Santana is, who knows how well he'll fare pitching half his games in the Fenway Park bandbox? The last thing Yankee fans should be worried about is what the Sox do. Sox fans worry about the Yankees -- not the other way around.

If Theo wants to mortgage his own farm, I can live with that. I know the Sox have shown that they're willing to part with talent to get talent, but in this case it seems unlikely. Epstein, Gammons et. al. talk about Ellsbury as if he's the second coming.

I would say 90% of the people who have come to this site so far have been overwhelmingly supportive of keeping Hughes. The minority in favor of trading for Santana have all cited the same concern: That Santana won't be available to pick up as a free agent next year.

I completely disagree. As highlighted above, I simply don't see the Sox being willing to part with that much young talent for Santana, when they can also make a play for him for just money next year.

And who the hell else not only has the quality prospects to entice the Twins but can also afford to pay the man the $25 million a year or so he's expected to command? The short list includes the Mets, the Angels Angels of Anaheim and the Dodgers. Unfortunately for the Mets, no one cares about their prospects, so unless Minaya wants to part with Jose Reyes, I'd say this deal is a non-starter. According to Mark Feinsand, the Angels are busy prepping a package for Miguel Cabrera, and if that deal were to go through, it's unlikely they would remain players for Santana. And who cares if Santana goes to the Dodgers? We're never going to see them.

Regardless, the News continues to stoke the fire that the Yankees are the leading candidate to land Santana right now, which is why getting the word out about this site is more important than ever. Do you want a lefty with 900-plus innings on his arm, or the most exciting young pitcher this side of Joba Chamberlain?

Phil Hughes has the chance to be a New York legend. During Game 3 of the ALDS against Cleveland, I couldn't have been prouder sitting in the upper deck and wearing my "HUGHES 65" tee as Phil was mowing the Indians down left and right. At the stadium as well as on the walk home from the subway, complete strangers were coming up to me giving me five and saying "that's the shirt to have tonight!"

Look, Santana is one of the best pitchers in baseball, and it's rather insane that he's even being shopped in the first place, which is why baseball should never let stingy billionaires own franchises.

But in this fan's mind, not even Santana is worth the man Pete Abe oh-so-wisely dubbed Phil Franchise.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. This is the longest, ill-thought-out piece of garbage I've ever read.
You realize that Hughes and the like have done absolutely nothing worthy of holding Johan's jock, Wang is a bust when it matters, and it'll be two or three years before the Yankees reap the results of their patience with the young pitchers: If ever! One is overweight, and probably going to end up in the bullpen, one can't stay healthy for more than six months, and one can't throw harder than Mike Mussina.
If the Red Sox were to get Johan, and can chase Beckett, Johan, Matsuzaka, Schilling, and Lester out every five days, it'll be a long time before their reign is over.
Retard.

YankeeGM said...

http://yankeegm.blogspot.com/2007/11/just-say-no-to-hughes-for-johan-yankee.html

Ben said...

NOBODY from the NY system? I'd happily package Kennedy and Cabrera plus another for Johan, if that can get a deal done. And I really like Kennedy.

Anonymous said...

I hope no one is traded. I really don't want Johan Santana and I personally feel that Hughes shouldn't even be TOUCHED without having pitched one whole season as a starter for us, injury free season.

This entire trade situation is making me nervous. The Yankees have had terrible luck with big signings regarding pitchers in recent years.

TIWWDN said...

Ben,

If I absolutely had to I could do a package involving Kennedy and Melky, but truthfully, how dumb do we think the Twins are? I don't see why they would settle for less than Hughes.

Julie said...

Why is Wang a bust? He's won the most games in the majors the last two years....

Jeff said...

I couldn't agree more. We are talking about a 22 year old kid who is probably one of the best pitching prospects to come along in the past 5-10 years. We will get some great years out of Santana, no doubt, but Hughes has the potential to give us more than a decade of great starts. I love this team more than I love most things in life, but some of the moves they have made over the past 10 years are beyond reason, and this one would be the crown jewel of bad moves.

Anonymous said...

To the clown that wrote this piece was a piece of garbage, you are a knucklehead. IF and I say IF, Boston was to get Santana, they would of had to give away the farm, and then they wouldn't have the exciting players that will lead there team for the next 10 years, so mortgage the farm, get santana have supposedly a great pitching staff, which won't be so great in a year with Schilling gone, Matsusaka being a 3 or 4 starter, Lester gone in the trade. yes they would have a great 1 2 punch though, give yout that.

Benz Sports said...

Ian Kennedy, Melky Cabrera, Mark Melancon ( Relief Pitcher Twins Interested In ), Alberto Gonzalez ( Defensive wiz at ss which the Twins desperately need . Hit over 300 in AA ), and Jose Tabata of .Daniel Mc Cutchen-P, Alan Horne - p ( Who I love and do not really want to give up, but I would before I give up Hughes ( Who I absolutely Love ) I'm not at all suggesting all of them at all. This seems possible to blow any other offers out the window , providing and addressing all or most of the Twins need.

ehaz said...

Ok... let's straighten out some things...

1. The Twins aren't asking the Red Sox for Buchholz and Ellsbury and Lester their asking for 2 of 3 and the Sox could get away with 1

2. SANTANA WILL NOT BE A FREE AGENT NEXT SEASON!!!!! RETARD ALERT THROW THIS DUDE IN A HOSPITAL YOU ARE SO STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!! SANTANA HAS A FULL NO TRADE CLAUSE AND WONT ACCEPT A TRADE UNLESS THE TEAM WILL SIGN HIM TO AN EXTENSION
Damn you just don't get it

Anonymous said...

Good God you are one retarded fuck face.